The mandate of the Status of Women Committee is to raise awareness about issues that affect women and provide programs and services to meet the specific needs of women members. The Committee also provides leadership training and opportunities for women and career awareness for girls.
The committee meets on a monthly basis and plans and delivers a variety of events and programs, including:
- A variety of speaker and workshop events, including financial management and stress management
- Annual Status of Women Dinner, honouring the two winners of the Marilyn Lennox Memorial Award and the Sue Hare Key Teacher Award
- The Grade 8 Girls’ Career Conference, an overnight conference where students have an opportunity to explore their strengths and interests and to learn about a variety of careers in workships given by female role models
- A $10 000 fund which can be accessed by members to attend women’s issues and equity related programs and professional development
- A Status Donations Fund is a $2,000 fund that can be accessed by PETL members, Peel community members, and organizations to sponsor/donate to events and organizations that are consistent with the goals of the Status of Women Committee.
- The Status Sports Fund is a $2,000 fund that can be accessed by PETL members, Peel community members, and organizations to sponsor sports events, teams, and organizations that are consistent with the goals of the Status of Women Committee.
ETFO members can participate in this active committee by attending meetings and programs, accessing funding, and volunteering at events such as the Grade 8 Girls’ Conference.